MSAF and SmoothStreaming player are not compatible?

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Hello,

almost 2 years ago i created an app for WP 7.0 that included both MSAF and the Silverlight Media Framework and both worked flawlessly till now, when i started to update both frameworks and my app to run on Mango.

The problem i'm facing is due to a compatibility issue between the two and i think it's generated by referencing those assemblyes:
- Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Compatibility.Phone.dll (from SMF)
- System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll (from MSAF)
- Microsoft.WebAnalytics.dll (from MSAF)

I reproduced the same problem in a test app that you can download from this link:
http://bit.ly/LByV21

The code is very simple as you can see:

MainPage.xaml

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="Transparent">
     <StackPanel Orientation="Vertical">
          <TextBlock Text="WP7 Smooth Streaming Demo" Height="22" Width="266" FontSize="12" Foreground="Blue"/>
          <Core:SMFPlayer Name="strmPlayer" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="0" VerticalAlignment="Stretch"/>
     </StackPanel>
</Grid>

MainPage.xaml.cs

PlaylistItem item = new PlaylistItem();
item.MediaSource = new Uri("http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/content/smf/smoothcontent/edwp7/Elephants_Dream_1024-h264-st-aac.ism/manifest");
item.DeliveryMethod = Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.Primitives.DeliveryMethods.AdaptiveStreaming;
strmPlayer.Playlist.Add(item);
strmPlayer.Play();

I'm wondering if there is a workaround to this issue because both the smoothstream player and the analytics are very important for my customer.

Thank you in advance for any support,

Gabriele

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Try removing System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll from the project references.

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM
mscherotter wrote:

Try removing System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll from the project references.

I tryed but by removing the reference for System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll then i have this new error:

The type 'System.ComponentModel.Composition.Primitives.ComposablePartCatalog' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.ComponentModel.Composition, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Jan 5 at 6:04 AM