MSAF and SmoothStreaming player are not compatible?

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM

almost 2 years ago i created an app for WP 7.0 that included both MSAF and the Silverlight Media Framework and both worked flawlessly till now, when i started to update both frameworks and my app to run on Mango.

The problem i'm facing is due to a compatibility issue between the two and i think it's generated by referencing those assemblyes:
- Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Compatibility.Phone.dll (from SMF)
- System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll (from MSAF)
- Microsoft.WebAnalytics.dll (from MSAF)

I reproduced the same problem in a test app that you can download from this link:

The code is very simple as you can see:

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="Transparent">
     <StackPanel Orientation="Vertical">
          <TextBlock Text="WP7 Smooth Streaming Demo" Height="22" Width="266" FontSize="12" Foreground="Blue"/>
          <Core:SMFPlayer Name="strmPlayer" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="0" VerticalAlignment="Stretch"/>

PlaylistItem item = new PlaylistItem();
item.MediaSource = new Uri("");
item.DeliveryMethod = Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.Primitives.DeliveryMethods.AdaptiveStreaming;

I'm wondering if there is a workaround to this issue because both the smoothstream player and the analytics are very important for my customer.

Thank you in advance for any support,

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Try removing System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll from the project references.

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM
mscherotter wrote:

Try removing System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll from the project references.

I tryed but by removing the reference for System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll then i have this new error:

The type 'System.ComponentModel.Composition.Primitives.ComposablePartCatalog' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.ComponentModel.Composition, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Jan 5 at 6:04 AM