Simple example using Google Analytics not working

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM

for the purpose of explaination I prepared this screenshot showing what I have setup in Expression Blend 4 and what I am seeing in booth debug tools of Firefox and Google Chrome:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6207/issuessilverlightgoogle.jpg

What I did:
Downloaded the latest Ms Silverlight Analytics Framework today from the project site, installed the setup and started expression blend. I added a few things on the stage such as 2 buttons.
From the components browser I added 2  TrackAction components to each of the 2 buttons, dragged a GoogleAnalytics component to the LayoutRoot level and a ConsoleAnalytics to it as well, as you can see in the Screenshot. The GoogleAnalytics component got a Category string and Web Property ID string that should be valid.

For 2 TrackAction I defined a category named "VideoA" and for the other one "VideoB" booth without any values. Once compiling using F5 I inspected resulting "http://localhost:53617/Default.html" in GoogleChrome's JS inspector and Firefox's firebug JS inspector. And in booth cases the Category string does not get traced. I tried some numbers at the "Value" property for the TrackAction components and they seem to get through but not the Category variable.

So I am posting this because maybe I am missing something here, the sample videos make it look easy but I got stuck at the most basic steps. I have to wait a day or 2 to see incomming results at the GoogleAnalytic page so I can't do that now, and obviously I should be able to debug passed through variables using either Chrome or Firefox.

thanks in advance

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

The ConsoleAnalytics outputs the following info for each event:

EventName: ObjectName, Value, ActionValue

Category is not output on the debugging console - but I will add it in the next release.

For Google Analytics, you can change the date range to include the current date so that you don't have to wait for results - it might only be 1-2 hours to see results.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Do you have any ideas why I am just getting:

Click: , , 

like what could be the reason its no working for me even though I defined or assigned a category name ? Is there any additional DLL, Javascript or alike stuff that I need to embed in the project or html bin file? - Just anything?

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:36 AM

I am bumping this thread since another Silverlight project came up and I got no help so far. Are there any other known issues from other people or cases like mine? I followed the instructions but it seems not to trace properly in Chrome or Firefox, just empty strings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated