I am Building My Analytics Service With WPF

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM

hi

I am Building My Analytics Service with WPF App , so is this work for WPF or its just Silverlight ?

also what this Framework exactly do ? and how this Can Help me ?

if this not work for WPF then can anyone Guide me to any Document for WPF App can help to track real-time user in the site like user Country and user OS and user Browser and all the stuff needed for Web analytics service , 

thanks Guys

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM

MSAF does support WPF. Most of the behaviors have been created for SL though. It uses MEF so you can easily create your own plugin and hooks into it. It provides a nice one common interface to do analytics where the end provider doesn't matter. Even support multiple providers at once.

Currently most of the examples are using behaviors but it is easy to create a static class/class instance that exposes the event action so you can log your own events. There is source code available for a WPF implementation here on codeplex. A basic way to do your own lightweight call logging is to import the action and call it.

[Import("Log")]
 public Action<AnalyticsEvent> Log { get; set; }

//Inside your constructor or behavior OnAttach method
 PartInitializer.SatisfyImports(this);
//this will fill the Log property with an exposed log action from WebAnalytics

After this you then can call Log with the necessary parameters and that information is then pushed to any provider that you've included. Past this there are some default behaviors in the WPF examples that you can wire up any event/trigger on your wpf app/control to be logged.

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2010 at 6:12 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Actually there are behaviors for WPF as well - just no Analytics Services yet - except for ServiceOrientedAnalytics.

If you create a WPF project in Blend, you will see the behaviors listed in the asset pane.

look in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Silverlight Analytics Framework\wpf

or

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Silverlight Analytics Framework\wpf

depending on where you installed the framework.

May 13, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Based on the above discussions, I just want to evaluvate the feasibility of Silverlight Analytics framework in the following scenario: Please let me know your thoughts asap.

I intend to write an Analytics data display application in WPF. Here I want to track and display the usage pattern  and analytics data from a website on a map based control. I currently have javascripts with a secret code sitting on the website, which helps in sending me back the analytics info. I want to know if i can host silverlight analytics framework on the html site, such that it will stream and send back the analytics information which i can capture and represent on a map kind of control and show it on the wpf based application?

I want to clarify here , that the WPF application I am writing here is on the "recieving" end to recieve the analytics data and show in rich graphical way using WPF based Map controls. On the sending side, the website could be a normal website(not necessarily Silverlight or xbap wpf app).

Is there any provision that the Silverlight analytics framework can help in trapping the analytics data and help in conveniently showing it in a WPF based application?

Coordinator
May 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I think what you are looking for is an analytics service that you can query and represent data in a WPF App.

One example of this is http://Silverlytics.com other analytics services with web data services that I know of are Google and Webtrends - I know that others provide data services as well.

Michael

May 15, 2010 at 9:30 AM

mscherotter

Is that mean this Freamwork Track Silverlight Apps and WPF Only and its not working with HTML sites or php sites ?

lets said i want track this site visitors for Example only

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

and i dont want use Google analytics or any other analytics Company , i want Build my one analytic system with this MASF Freamwork , is that Possible ? if yes then do i have to use js code and embedded it in my html page so that I can view the data in my WPF Desktop App ? or it can be done with other way then js code ? 

Please answer this to me , thanks a lot to you and your team

Coordinator
May 16, 2010 at 4:29 PM

the MSAF is for adding analytics tracking to Silverlight and WPF Applications - which may be hosted on HTML pages or in out-of-browser applications.  If you want to create your own tracking service for your Silverlight Application, you should look into the ServiceOrientedAnalytics that is part of the framework.

May 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM
Edited May 17, 2010 at 3:45 PM
mscherotter wrote:

the MSAF is for adding analytics tracking to Silverlight and WPF Applications - which may be hosted on HTML pages or in out-of-browser applications.  If you want to create your own tracking service for your Silverlight Application, you should look into the ServiceOrientedAnalytics that is part of the framework.

mscherotter

thanks , then i think this will not work for me , becouse from what i understanding this Freamwork can track Silverlight and WPF Applications only ,and it cannot track html site only with out Silverlight and WPF Controls

but not all the People who is going to use my Desktop App have Silverlight and WPF Controls inside they are sites ,

What I am planing To do is Build Analytics Service Exactly Like Google analytic Can track all the site and its not Required  to Embed any Controls in user site .

Now instead of Browser based User interface (like Google analytics)  i am going to build WPF Desktop APP , so that user can run the app and see all he is site data , now do you have any document can help me with this and how that can be done with .NET Technology ? I mean the code responsible for analytics part and what method we should use here (java script or take the data from site log file )  

for Example Google analytics using JS Code and user must Embed this code inside he is site ,

so what about us if we want use .NET And WPF Technology , what is the best way to do this ? 

thanks