Dependencies are too large to use

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I have been using my own metrics integration with Google Analytics. I was pretty excited to see this at MIX10. 

However, when I simply add the basic libraries, my XAP file increase by 166KB. Looking inside the XAP, I see it adds a whole bunch more dependencies like System.ComponentModel.Composition, I'm assuming for MEF plus System.Windows.Interactivity and Microsoft.Expression.Interactions. 

I know you are creating a framework (it's in the name) however what I really need is a lightweight way to track my application.

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I totally understand - we are looking into Application Library Caching in SL4 as a way to reduce the startup time.  Measure the time difference between loading with the framework and without it.  I'd love to hear the difference.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Application Library Caching doesn't work with Out of Browser scenarios unless that changed in SL4. Having analytics works in OOB scenarios is interesting since there is no other way of gathering metrics unless you build your own proxy.

Load times will obviously be different depending on your Internet connection. I expect it should be less than 1 second on average, however 166KB here, 80KB there, and you end up with a pretty big xap file with a lot of bloat. 

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM

For OOB the size of the XAP doesn't matter as much because it's already downloaded. 

XAP file size matters most for in-browser scenarios and for an in-browser scenario, you can use Application Library Caching.